Artists 4 Paris Climate 2015 : idea
During the 2015 Paris Climate Change Conference / COP 21 of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), major contemporary artists are mobilizing action through art projects displayed in the public spaces of “Greater Paris.”
On 9 December at 8pm, a charity auction of 30 works from 14 art projects will be organized by the premier international auction house, Christie’s. The benefits will go to 14 on-the-ground actions both fighting desertification and supporting adaptation to climate change.
The initiative is supported by the United Nations Conventions on Climate Change and Desertification. Foundations, companies and NGOs support the implementation of projects in Paris as well as action around the world.
2 steps of the initiative: mobilization then action
Mobilization: during COP21, 7 projects will be paired with 7 symbolic locations
- Deep breathing / resuscitation for the Reef by Janet Laurence, at the National Museum of Natural History, from 6 October to 14 December
- Drowning World by Gideon Mendel, on 10 billboards in the centre of Paris, in the run-up to COP21, from 23 to 29 November
- Little Sun by Olafur Eliasson and Frederik Ottensen, march from Clichy-Montfermeil to Bourget, on 2 December
- Ice Watch by Olafur Eliasson and Minik Rosing, Place du Panthéon, from 3 to 13 December
- Aerocene by Tomas Saraceno, at the Grand Palais, for Solutions COP21, from 4 to 10 December
- Human Energy by Yann Toma, the Eiffel Tower, from 5 to 12 December
- Flying Shell, by Pavel Peppertein, and Sky Puzzle by Yin Xiuzhen (dates and location still to be confirmed)
Action: on 9 December at 8pm at Christie’s Paris, 14 contributing artists with 7 projects completed and 7 to come shortly, will offer 30 works paired with 14 on-the-ground actions that are supported by 12 NGOs. The sites were chosen with the UN to embody the scope of action in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Caribbean and the Middle East.
— UN Climate Action (@UNFCCC) 8 Décembre 2015